Shortlister hosted James Andrews, Director of Client Solutions with the EX Program, to discuss the changing tobacco cessation landscape and share details on emerging technologies driving tobacco cessation outcomes.
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable disease, disability, and death in the United States. The statistics show that 15 percent of U.S. adults smoke cigarettes and that it costs an employer $6,112 more to hire a smoker versus a non-smoker.
The good news is that there are trending city and state tobacco policies that affect smokers:
- Tobacco tax increases
- Smoke-free environments
- Flavor/menthol restrictions
These factors are a good push for a smoker to decide to quit, but this is only the first step. Using an evidence-based program improves a smoker’s chance of quitting successfully, and a digital quit-smoking program can improve the reach of evidence-based tools.
Launched by the Truth Initiative in collaboration with Mayo Clinic, the EX Program is a digital tobacco cessation program that currently has more than 800,000 users.
What makes the program different is how it delivers human-powered digital experiences. Through live chat coaching and a thriving online community, the EX Program helps smokers quit through compassion and accountability. The EX Program also personalizes the support to the tobacco user—including pregnant smokers and e-cigarette users. Plus, the program provides 24/7 support to current and former smokers, which can make the difference between a slip and a full-blown relapse.
The EX Program components include:
- EX Plan
- Self-paced, guided plan that includes educational content, interactive tools for skill building, videos, and tailored email support
- Based on national treatment guidelines and Mayo Clinic protocols
- Text Messaging
- Support for all stages of quitting journey
- Personalized and interactive tips and advice
- On-demand support for cravings, relapse, stress
- Tailored support for medication use and adherence
- Tailored content for pregnant women/new moms, e-cigarette users and parents of teens who vape
- EX Community
- One of the largest cessation communities
- Thriving community with a typical 12-minute response time for posts with 12 replies per post
- Live Chat Coaching – EX Coaches help participants:
- Choose a quit date
- Build confidence and motivation
- Choose right medication & dosage and coordinate delivery
- Avoid relapse by managing cravings and stress without tobacco
- “Technology navigators”
- Quit Medication:
- Nicotine patches, gum or lozenges delivered to participants’ home
If you are a user of Shortlister, click here to access the full Meet a Vendor presentation
If you are not a user of Shortlister, click here to request access to view this presentation